Subscribe!

Send me an email here and I'll send you a link to every fabulous new post...or follow me on Twitter for the same result. Very exciting.

Sunday 8 March 2015

Daylight Saving

Today was Spring Forward, and although I'm allllll ready for bed at 8 pm I very much enjoyed seeing traces of daylight still in the sky well after 7....summer is coming.

I've been trying to decide for a few years now whether we should change out Christmas in favour of celebrating the passing of the longest night of the year on December 21, or just tear it up on the more artificial date upon which we return to Daylight Saving Time. I tend to lean to the old pagan choices associated with the passage of the seasons, the solstice and the equinox, but I can't quite decide for sure.  Maybe both. It's not like it would be a big adjustment, we already have national statutory holidays around those dates anyway, I just think we should call a spade a spade regarding what it is we're really celebrating, and what we HAVE been celebrating for millennia. Whether it's the spring equinox or whatever the date is that we Spring Forward, for me what it's all about is "thank heaven, I can resume actual life after the long winter spent pretending we revel in ice and snow and darkness."  That's not a very catchy name for a statutory holidays I suppose.  There's a whole other post or possibly series of them related to my lack of connection to the art of marketing, so I guess the Catchy Title Department can just gleefully await my visit to them on bended knee asking for their help in my Real Seasonal Celebration Titles campaign.

I'm never quite sure how Thankful I am for the onset of longer nights and shorter days that happens right after Thanksgiving. I'm thankful for having whatever I need to get through those days, but just not so much about the fact that I actually have to.


No comments:

Post a Comment