Subscribe!

Send me an email here and I'll send you a link to every fabulous new post...or follow me on Twitter for the same result. Very exciting.

Thursday 2 July 2015

First kid on my block...

Total change of pace today: this post is just only and simply about me being the first one to say that the current "crow riding on an eagle's back" thing is at best a very lucky piece of photograph timing and at worst a fake.

Background: some guy caught a series of photographs that purport to show a crow approaching, landing on, and then riding an eagle in flight.  When I look at the pictures and consider the possibility that any crow in its right mind could or would fold its wings and simply stand on the back of an eagle in flight, I say No - a thousand times no!  Even the eagle doesn't look right to me in these pictures....

Here's the initial place Rich sent to show me the pictures

Snopes, whose word on the truth or hoax status of everything is gold to me, apparently believes this is true.  Today, July 2nd, they cite Internet and email traffic " from July 2015" as validating this set of photos as authentic.

Here's the Snopes "analysis" that Rich also sent me.

....and here is a Google search on Internet traffic tending to validate this stuff, again provided by Rich.

I'm saying it's a hoax.

You can see how this went: Rich has done all the work and all I've had to do is be groundlessly obstinate in my disbelief.  If I turn out to be wrong, it'll be a little more humble pie, the earth continues spinning....meantime my potential upside on being the First Kid on My Block to call this out as a fraud is HUGE.

Thanks for listening.  As a reward for your patience, here is a picture of Blue Gentian Lake in West Vancouver, taken when Rich and I were hiking there on Canada Day (and arguing about eagles and crows.  Hey, this is how my days go by, and let me tell you, there are a lot worse ways to spend days...):

Blue Gentian Lake, July 1, 2015





1 comment:

  1. UPDATE July 17 2015: Snopes has not updated their site with a revised opinion of the truth or falseness of the eagle post. Lilburn is worried, but having looked again today at the pictures, remains obdurate in his belief that they're fake. More later.

    ReplyDelete